Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Making the Cut


Since being with the club, I annually cut a few cups from some select greens around the course and place them in the green house to get an early look at what we're going to be dealing with once the soil temperatures elevate in the spring. It's almost like looking into my agronomic crystal ball. This practice gives us an idea of how much desiccation we will be needing to recover from and what percentage of the Poa Annua took a hit. After about a week in this controlled environment we can usually notice some signs of life, but not always. Normally, after getting back from the GIS, I have the chance to monitor the progress of the cups we cut and usually have some perspective on where we sit. Well.......not this year. After another failed attempt to put a cupcutter in the ground today, I've decided I need to wait. Having to deal with the Mother Nature is something I should have learned to deal with by now, but in general, Golf Course Superintendents are some of the most impatient people on earth and somehow, I fit in well with that crowd. Pictured above, is the only plug I was able to take from the course. This sample was taken from the nursery green and is almost two inches in depth, (half the depth of what I would like to have in a sample). While its not as representative to the course as I would like, it will have to do until the deep freeze of winter releases its grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment